I Yield....

My son came home to be with me today. I was thrilled to have him by my side and cooked his favourite dishes…fried chicken.

I bathed him around 7.00pm and helped him to towel dry himself.. while I was at it, he suddenly lunged towards my chest and hugged me tight. Then he started crying. He was crying so hard as if he’s been hurt badly somehow. I was stunned. My son was sobbing and couldn’t speak a word when I asked him why he’s crying so suddenly. I asked him if he misses his dad, he said no. Erin perhaps? No. Then what is it I gently asked him in between sobs. Whats the matter Zane? Please tell Mama why you’re crying. You have to tell me otherwise I can’t help you. This went on for 10 minutes or so..I was at my wits end as I didn’t know how to appease my beloved offspring. He came out and sat on the couch, still tearing and sobbing. I told him to calm down, take a breather.

I then asked him again…”Why are you crying Ezane? Tell me please.”

Then he said these words that broke my heart into pieces.

Son : Mama, can you not work so much? I miss spending time with you. I want to stay with you now. And I miss sleeping with you. Please take me and Erin home. Let Papa work and give you money ok? You don’t have to work anymore.

I was rendered speechless. Flabbergasted.

Mama : So you want Mama to quit my job so that I can take care of you?

Son : Yes, Mama. (while nodding his head and hugging me).

Choked up with tears, I said… “Yes. I’ll quit and take care of you and Adik ok, sweetheart? Don’t worry. I’ll be here for you no matter what. I promise you ok?

You see my son is poles apart from most kids. He’s timid and reticent.
He doesn’t say much except when he’s with his cousins. I noticed that he keeps his feelings to himself and will never let his emotions or sentiments show. He doesn’t cry. And he’s the most obedient son a mother could ever wish for. I’m blessed to have him in my life.

It must have taken a lot for him to convey to me how he felt.

After I finally told him what he needed to hear, I excused myself, and told him that I wanted to go to the bathroom.

I went into my bedroom and tears streamed down my face and bawled. I didn’t want my son to see me break down.

I have failed my son…

I have failed as a mother.

I have failed myself.

I will do what’s right.. I will yield to his request.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it loud, say it clear.........